CDPAP – Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program

What is the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP)?

The CDPAP Program is an exciting program that allows a person to manage their own care. In this program, the client is the “Consumer” and the caregiver is the “Personal Assistant” or “PA.” If the Consumer is not able to manage the care for themselves, a “Designated Representative” or “DR” can manage the program for them (DR cannot be the PA).

How do I enroll in CDPAP?

We can guide you through the entire process of enrolling in CDPAP. Call us today to speak with a CDPAP specialist who will answer your questions and help you start the enrollment process – 718-450-8054. Or email us at

Can a consumer hire a family member to be their personal assistant?

Most family members, including children, can be hired to serve as a personal assistant. Two exceptions that cannot serve as a personal assistant are the consumer’s parents and spouse.

Do personal assistants need any special license or certificate?

Personal assistants must be legally allowed to work. They do not need a special license or certification to provide care under the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program.

What services can a personal assistant provide?

Personal assistants are able to provide both custodial and skilled services. This includes many skilled services that a home health aide may not provide, such as wound care, giving insulin shots, and others.

What role does Hand In Hand play? Isn't the consumer supposed to be directing their care independently of a home care agency?

Hand In Hand Together Home Care is a NY State certified Fiscal Intermediary for CDPAP. Meaning, we are certified to process the payroll for CDPAP personal assistants.

Get Started Today!

To learn more about our CDPAP program contact us at 718-450-8054